The Xbox Series S could give new patent a feature that makes the Series X superfluous for me

Both Sony's PlayStation 5 and Microsoft's Xbox Series have a purely digital edition that comes without a drive, but is also cheaper. In the case of the Series S, the console also performs less than its big sister, but a new patent from Microsoft could at least ensure that physical games will soon be playable.

new patent could give Series S a feature that could be the future of the Xbox

The "Software Ownership Validation of Optical Discal Using Secondary Device" patent was registered by Microsoft and should make it possible to have an Xbox game verified by external drives. This could make players on their Xbox Series S to access the digital version of the game in the Xbox Store (via Gamerant):

The only drawback: It takes a corresponding drive to be able to use this feature at all. It is unclear whether Microsoft will offer a drive that can be connected to the Series S or whether you need an Xbox One or even Xbox Series X directly to read the relevant game disc.

Nevertheless, that would of course be a good news for everyone who still have an old Xbox game collection in the closet, but so far they can only play on their old console. After all, these titles also benefit from the Power of the Xbox Series S, which ensures shorter charging times.

And maybe colleague Tobi would then have to be less afraid to say goodbye to the drives of his console:

__53 __3

more on the subject

PS5/Xbox Series X: I never need my drives - but I just can't do without

__

unclear whether digital license is permanent

What has not yet emerged from the patent is the answer to the question of whether it is permanent digital licenses for the relevant games or whether they would have to be renewed regularly. After all, it would otherwise be possible to verify physical games for the Series S and then return.

At least potentially, disturbances such as the current server failure in Xbox could potentially become less serious. If the license does not have to be checked every time, DRM problems would also affect fewer people. However, it is not yet clear whether this would be the case and whether this feature is at all for the Xbox Series S. After all, it is only a patent.

Eleen Reinke

New Xbox Series leaked by Microsoft __@Ottadice

Similar to colleague Tobi above, I also hang on the drives of my game consoles. You never know when you don't want to insert an old PS4 or Xbox One-Disk from the collection. So far I have never used this feature on my PS5 (but hey, I once started a Pushing Daisies DVD!), But somehow I miss the opportunity with my Xbox Series S.

Since at least I personally get the power of the Series S and I only have a 60Hz TV anyway and could not see anything of 120 FPS games, I would primarily get a Series X for the drive. If the patent really comes as a feature for the Series S, I would be pretty happy with my console - at least until I treat myself to a 120Hz TV and then inevitably start again...

What do you think of the patent, do you still have physical games that you want to play on the Series S, or are you only digitally traveling?

Comments

Popular Posts